The River Rat

The River Rat

Monday, March 21, 2016

March 21, 2016 > Race Strategy

My strategy for the MRX sprint paddling race in September is to sneak up on it.  Thinking about the whole distance at once makes me feel kind of sick actually, so instead I'm distracting myself.  You may have noticed in my previous blog post that I've got a nice new "River Rat" decal for my canoe. There's nothing athletic about that. It might almost seem as though I'm preparing to paddle downriver with some friends (you know, Toad and Mole) and and a fully loaded picnic basket. Kind of paints a nice picture, doesn't it?  That's my strategy.

In truth, I took my calendar out yesterday and plotted all the events that I'm using to distract myself from the main event.  I've registered for the Band on the Run 1/2 marathon on June 11th, and I'm running on a Triathlon team in the TriMuskokan on June 26th.  I'll run The Limberlost Challenge, a 14km run through lovely woods and around 5 or so lakes, in July.  Because it's fun.  Because the "real runners" in that race do another 3 laps of the course after I'm finished, and they are so inspiring.  And because, actually, I think it will help.  I do need to have strong legs for the portaging portion of the race, so this fitness component will work in my favour.

I also had a writers workshop scheduled two weeks prior to the "Main Event" but it was just cancelled; I'm so disappointed. That would REALLY have helped me to sneak up on the race. Writing for a week! Mind you, the workshop was scheduled at a lodge near Port Loring and I had planned to bring Ratty with me for some leisurely paddles.

I've decided against signing up for the Big East River X because it's too early in the season for me (I still need to learn how to paddle solo), and also because it is a more technical course, I didn't want to put myself under that much pressure. I already have a full time job, and at 50+ years old I don't want to over do it. Call that an excuse if you like, I'm just managing my reality.  Oh -  and it's held on June 18th.  I don't think I can handle 3 events in three weeks - I'm not remotely like those Aussies who can do 8 Iron-Man Triathlons in 8 days...!  That's just crazy.

That leaves upper body strength and endurance training.  I did some raking in the yard yesterday and I must admit my shoulders are a little sore today.  Well, maybe not sore exactly, but tight, yeah. Nothing a little yoga can't handle. So yep I'll need more raking practice, and I think I'll do some swimming in the pool as well.  If I were a real swimmer I'd sign up for a class, but classes just scare me, frankly.  I have taken a swimming "stroke improvement class" in the past and I did manage to stay off the bottom of the pool and under the radar of the instructor (sorry, Jane - it's not you it's me), but there's something about heading to the pool in the evening that just makes me turn into a whimpering kitten.  The water's just too cold. I know it needs to be cool because swimmers get warm swimming, like in any activity, but I have deja-vu moments where I'm back  to being a scrawny 8-year old kid with knobby knees, shivering away with hypothermia and blue lips.  I might need hypnosis to get past that. Once I can get out onto the water with Ratty, it'll be mileage that will make the difference.  Out on the water often, with friends.  Yeah, nice.

Come and join me, I'll pack the picnic basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment